Thursday, March 19, 2009

Better late than never!




http://www.elise.com/recipes/Though it is no longer St. Patricks Day, we had our corned beef with roasted potatoes and cabbage today! I used a recipe from Simply Recipes for both the beef and the cabbage and they were truly delicious!!
I have not posted any photos as of yet since I am far from very good with our camera but I am going to try this time. Whether I can figure it out is the BIG question.
I roasted the beef in the oven for about 3 hours, boiled the potatoes until they were just barely soft then cut them in half and roasted them in the juice from the roast for about a half hour so they were nice and golden. The cabbage was sauteed with onions and garlic in olive oil and butter. This is the first cabbage I actually liked!! The added bonus was that it did not stink up the house as it does when boiled. Over all this was a really good meal that I would do again in a minute. It was also very inexpensive since the local Krogers had the corned beef on sale.
Big plus?? leftovers for another meal or two.

One of the things I want to do this year is start growing more vegetables for both our consumption as well as possibly taking a space at the local farmers market. So today I got what I will need to start seeds of heirloom tomato plants that I grew last year as well as some other vegetables and herbs. We are going to be moving very soon but if I wait much longer to start the seeds I will not see any usable produce until August. If we can find the right place to rent, I also want to have a flock of hens for eggs. I have done this before and the eggs from free range hens are so much better than those lame white eggs at the store!
I have been reading lots of small homestead type farm blogs and have come away from those with the thought that maybe sheep are another possibility. Again, finding the right rental home will be the clincher on what we will be able to do.
The end of April is coming alot faster than I want it to. I have to start looking for enough boxes to pack all of our things and then figure out when I will go to North Carolina to look for a place to rent. We are moving near to where my sister and brother in law live outside Ashville. We need to find housing and employment. Here in Ohio jobs are just non-existent so we need to do something other than what we have been for the past year. I am tired of wondering where the next dollar is going to come from.
We have been having garage/living room sales to try and downsize over the past month and so far we have sold alot of things but the major items are still here. Though I hate to part with it, the tractor has to go as well as the whole house generator since the money from those will be what we will live on until we find work. Being part of the national statistics is not my idea of fun but sometimes reality is not a choice.
I hope anyone that reads this is having a wonderful early spring. I would love to hear from any of you!!
Grumpy, the parrot in my profile photo says "are you ok?".

No comments: